Friday 3 January 2014

What is the optimum number of children?


This is a common question amongst parents. No matter how many children you have people (yes me included) always ask "would you have any more?"

At the moment I answer with a definite 'no' and the obligatory eye-roll, but deep down have I really ruled out having just one more?

My three children are aged 5 years, 2 yrs 8 months and 1 yr 2 months. At the moment the youngest two are both in nappies, both still use a bottle (at least at bed-time) and both need me to dress them. All 3 of them still need to be watched most of the time so maybe the gap you have makes a difference.

People have asked what it is like to have three children, and my usual answer is that there was chaos with 2, so another 1 doesn't make too much difference. There are a few logistical issues sure. Walking down the street is one, cuddling them all at once is another, but as my 2 year old says "all aboard!". I spend a ridiculous amount of time doing laundry, and a considerable amount of my day is focused on meeting their basic needs.

Finances are definitely a concern and we had to buy a larger car when we had the third child. Good parenting is of course top of everyone's list of worries. I think this an ongoing challenge, but I comfort myself with the thought that I am constantly worried about whether a different child is getting enough attention, so each of them must be getting attention at some point! My eldest now gets some special time with me after her brothers have gone to bed and we spend quality time reading together. My youngest has some time when the other two are at school and pre-school, and my middle one gets attention when his brother is asleep. They all three love playing together so we're often able to play with all three together.

The best thing about having three children is the love they have for each other. They are very cute together, and definitely feel as though they belong together and want to play.

Some people are concerned about over-population and see having more than 2 children as selfish. They could be right, but I personally feel that if I can raise good citizens who can contribute to a better society then I'll have done my job. Time will tell how I get on with that one! For the time being though our eco credentials are that we are (mostly) using cloth nappies and the kids are vegetarian.

I regularly count my blessings that I've been given these three precious children, and my heart's desire is to be a worthy mother.

Let me know your optimum number! x


No comments:

Post a Comment