Monday 2 June 2014

Getting a job

I weighed up some of the pros and cons of returning to work in a previous post To work or not to work. Now I've had a part-time job for a couple of months I'm reflecting on how it's working out.

My last 'proper' job came to an end just before I got pregnant with baby number 3, so I didn't have a job to return to. I run my own business and so have continued to work on that, but the pressures of paying the bills on a regular basis and my husband wanting to re-train and change his career have led me to look for a part-time job. Luckily when I was visiting my favourite local family park I saw an advert for someone to work in the entry kiosk. I charmed and CV'd my way into the job and now work at least 1 day per weekend a few days during the school holidays.

I only work on days where my husband is available to look after the children so there are no childcare costs. It does eat quite dramatically into our family time, but I guess I have to prioritise keeping a roof over our heads.

The first couple of days of work were seriously a MAJOR REST! Only having to look after yourself without looking out for 3 little people, being able to drink a cup of tea whilst it's hot, and having some adult conversation were huge pluses. I totally loved coming home to find my husband had cooked dinner (or a couple of times spent half my days earnings on a takeaway..) and begun to get the children ready for bed. It is great to know that he now understands what it is like to spend 9 hours alone with 3 children aged 5, 3 and 1. That helps.

Now I'm finding that my guilt for spending time away from the children is creeping in. This half term I'm working 5 days, but we are taking the children to CBeebies Land at Alton Towers for 2 days in the middle, so I imagine they'll mostly remember that! Guilt seems to be an emotion that goes hand-in-hand with parenting, and I'm striving to keep it at bay so there is just enough guilt to motivate me to try harder but not enough to make me sit and cry in the corner :-)

In general I am enjoying having a job as an extra dimension to my life. It is a relief to have a teensy weensy bit of time away from my beloved children, and it is necessary to earn money. I'm able to be there to take my daughter to school and pick her up every day, and my husband and kids regularly come to the park to visit me and enjoy themselves.

In my lovely uniform...



No comments:

Post a Comment