Thursday 18 April 2013

Back to work... end of year accounts

Last month I wrote about the 10 reasons I love working from home . This month I've had no time for writing because I've been preparing our end of year accounts. I guess that is the down side to running your own business :-)

As our business (Serenity Baby selling maternity clothes and baby products) has evolved from a small side project into a full time gig for my husband and I, our method of working has evolved gradually, and accounting has been one of the last things to catch up. We've recently requested the services of a local accountant and she has really helped us see what we should be counting and why.

Over the past few weeks I've been grappling with the accounting programme Sage and finally feel that I've mastered the basics! I now know illuminating things such as: a) our business is profitable! b) nominal codes are a source of joy c) you need to add your stock value into your calculations (oops..) and d) what a journal is (OK I still dont know that, but now I can use one)

Write and let me know your self-employed year end traumas...

Nothing to do with accounting... just love the cute pic of my eldest and youngest!

No comments:

Post a Comment